Springtime is a perfect time to start a NATURE JOURNAL Nature is waking up after a long winter sleep, and new life is coming back into the garden. Keeping a Journal increases our appreciation of nature and deepens our connection with the Earth.
It’s different to a Garden Diary which is about recording all the little jobs we DO in the garden ie sowing, planting, harvesting etc. A NATURE JOURNAL is more about BEING. It’s about discovering the secrets of nature, and recording what we find.
- Go out into the garden and take your Journal with you. Stand or sit silently/ lie down on the grass or take a leisurely stroll.
- Begin each entry with a date, time and place so when you look back you will remember.
- Observe what’s happening all around you or focus on a particular plant, insect or bird and their behaviour.
- Write down what you see, hear, smell, touch, taste. How it makes you feel.
- Take photos. (Pick a nature buddy you can share them with).
- Write a poem or draw a picture.
- Remember, it’s not about doing or changing anything but about witnessing.